Do you remember the days when the path to finding a new job was as simple as flipping through your Rolodex and making a few calls?
I sure do … and it wasn’t that long ago! (Was it?)
This approach vanished in the past decade as the Monster’s of the Internet put job search on steroids. It became just too easy to put your resume online, then simply one-click to apply now.
The fallout of Wall Street’s nuclear blast has now caused many jobs to become extinct. As millions of professionals simultaneously lost their jobs, the Internet flooded Human Resource Departments with countless resumes … many for jobs that no longer existed and never would again.
The latest crazy idea to “solve” the problem is called Downshifting.
It’s based on the notion that many formerly upwardly mobile professionals, specifically those around age 45, should place their career aspirations permanently on ice and make the life choice to downshift and accept positions that are more menial and pay significantly less.
Say what? I don’t know about you, but I can’t drive 45! Tough times call for new strategies, new methods, new tactics – not surrendering your life to flipping hamburgers at McDonald’s or sitting in a Telemarketing room for eight hours a day! No way!
What should you do? Here are five keys to rejecting downshifting and getting your life back:
- Refuse to surrender and downshift. Turn up the heat and take your career – and your life – to the next level.
- Get clear on both your passion and your purpose. Commit to finding a role where you can love what you do!
- Start over with your resume. Nobody cares much about what you’ve done, they want to see how your experience helps them now!
- Get creative and get with the new technology. Think about producing a video resume and sell your passion!
- Get ready for massive, massive activity. Get out there and find your next great opportunity!
Downshift? I know I can’t drive 45! Make sure you “Just Say NO” too!!!