Convert More By Following These 7 Steps!
I can’t tell you how many times I hear people tell me their website is generating a LOT of traffic but, with little to no phone calls or leads. This conversation is almost an every day occurrence in my life. Truth!
Is this happening to you? Did you hire a great Search Engine Optimization (SEO) firm and are now generating a lot of traffic on your site? Are these visitors just coming and going with unfortunately very few orders/phone calls?
If this is you, that is Great News! How could this possibly be great news you say? It is great because a VERY difficult part of your marketing/sales is already done… you are bringing the horses to water. All that we have to do now is to make them drink – which in my professional opinion is sometimes much easier than bringing the horses in the first place. The trick is, how do we make them FEEL thirsty?
These 7 Steps To Conversion should help. Good luck!
1. Find Your Tribe The days of marketing to the masses are over (well, for the majority of us that is). To successfully market and sell your product/service you need to get Hyper-specific. So, let me share with you an example of what I mean…We have a client that mobile optimizes websites (for smartphones) – www.mometro.com. Now we can choose to market this to the masses (from the pizzeria owner to the airline president) or we can try to find our tribe and be the leader of it (in that category at least). So, with this in mind, what if we decided to market/sell to real estate brokers and agents? These are businesses and people who could really benefit from mobile website optimization right? If I am right, then imagine this… you are looking for homes to buy while driving with your wife/husband and you stumble across an agency on your phone that has all their agents listings optimized (for smartphones). Imagine even being able to see the home (inside and out) in this optimized fashion (on your phone) – no long wait for the site to upload, no more having to scroll left and right (only up and down) – tremendous… right? Well, as you may have guessed we decided to focus at least 60% of our energies and attention on the real estate market and industry!
2. Speak Their (That Tribe’s) Language Now that we found our tribe (real estate agents and brokers), we need to learn how real estate agents talk? What do they want to hear? What are the words and phrases they use? What are the critical understandings? What are their common, everyday challenges? What is a typical day like? What solution(s) would help with these everyday challenges or even give them a leg up on their competition? In doing this, we make sure we speak their language, make it all about them (see below) and how we are going to transform them into super successful human beings (more listings, home sales, visitors, passers by, inquiries, offers, you name it!).
3. Make It About Them (Not You or Your Business!) Probably the one thing that frustrates me the most in looking at the majority of websites today is that they are not written and designed to create conversion (getting someone to buy or at least pick up the phone). Isn’t this the objective of almost every website – to generate interest in the form of leads? If so, then why are most business websites structured like this (on top, from left to right – in tabs):
- Home – here’s what we do (all the cool things about what we do),
- About Us – how we do it (and all the cool things in how we do what we do),
- Our People – here’s our amazing people (and of course all the cool things that they have accomplished),
- Our Clients – here’s a case-study, a white paper, and a list of clients, and lastly
- Contact Us (with either no call to action or one that is not compelling/enticing enough)
Wouldn’t you agree that almost every website you come across is designed/organized this way? Well, the first thing you learn in sales 101 is that Telling Is Not Selling. So please, stop making it about you (like every website above) and make your message (and website and everything else that you are promoting) about them – how what you do makes their pain go away, saves time, money, creates peace of mind, increased efficiency, more sales, more followers, greater security, etc.). –>HERE<– is a great example of what I am talking about. Please be sure to watch all four videos and pay close attention to the messaging… it is ALL about them – their prospective clients/customers.
So, remember… find your tribe, speak their language and make it about them. If you can do this, you are halfway home.
4. Discover and Communicate Your Why (Be Their Leader) People don’t buy what you do, they buy why you do it. Or, in context with our tribal conversation… tribe members won’t follow you because of what you do but because of WHY you do it. Watch this TED talk by Simon Sinek <—-this is a hot-link so click it. If this doesn’t resonate with you then someone please check me in to psych ward!
5. Get Them Out Of Their Head And In Their Heart If it is your goal to generate leads and/or relationships from your website (or any promotion for that matter; and why wouldn’t it be?), then make sure all your energies are focused on your tribe’s feelings. Again, in context… speak to your tribe as if they are you and your are them. How would your tribe feel if you can bring them more money, save their time, increase their sales, find them more followers, etc. Speak to them in a way that moves them – emotionally!
6. Keep Your Why Short Before you lose them emotionally, end it. Get them while they are out of their head and in their heart.
7. Have A Compelling Call To Action So many professional service providers (engineers, accountants, lawyers, technology folks) say nothing at all. They communicate what they do, perhaps even their unique value proposition (what makes them different) and then think the rest (their reputation, resume, or portfolio) is enough. And for a select 1 to 5 percent that may be true however, for the remaining majority, that is clearly not enough.
My mother always told me, “Andrew, if you don’t ask then then you don’t get.” Well mom, you were right (about so many things by the way). So, please don’t be too prideful (whomever you are) and ASK! And trust me, if you do a great job on steps 1 through 6, they will come… willingly and gladly. For more on how to compose a great call to action click HERE.
Okay, I put it out to the universe… Andrew’s secret formula. The rest is up to you to practice. Yes, practice! Let’s face it, many of these steps are easier said than done. Moving people inside (emotionally) is not an easy thing to do (and a topic for another e-rumination). For now, think, research, practice and put it out there. The more you do, the better you will get and the more horses that you brought to the trough will drink.
Synergy Sales & Marketing is more of a results based sales and marketing alternative with an ingenious, custom solution for scaling YOUR business’s sales. For more about Synergy, click HERE.